Bastyr University’s original website was built in 1999 and served us well for many years. However, the University has grown dramatically in that time and technology too has been revolutionized. As the virtual “window” to our University, it is important to us that our website reflects Bastyr’s true character and is simple to navigate. With this website redesign, we intended to improve both the front-end experience and back-end functionality of the site, with the following goals in mind:
- Clearer and more consistent architecture
- Increased navigation tools and links
- Better content management system to more easily maintain the site
- Improved search function and e-commerce tool
- Optimization for viewing on mobile devices
By making these updates, we are confident that the overall user experience of our website will be enhanced and that the rich 34-year legacy of our institution is reflected well in a 21st century package.
For years, Bastyr University was known by the color green, which signified respect for nature. While we will always believe in being “green,” our institution has grown significantly and our reputation as an educational leader has reached global status.
As we continue to advance our mission and vision, we feel the time has come for our visual identity to better reflect the prestige, heritage and strength of our institution. Our new bold and distinguished color palette was chosen both to represent our institutional values and to reflect our rootedness in nature:
- Cranberry – The dark red color represents energy, passion and leadership. The cranberry plant it is named after has both culinary and medicinal uses in Western traditions.
- Ginger – The golden tan color represents prestige. The ginger root it is named after has both culinary and medicinal uses in Western and Eastern traditions.
- Juniper – The slate-blue accent color represents healing and wisdom, and is shared with Bastyr Center for Natural Health’s brand identity. The juniper plant’s frosted blue-colored berries have culinary and medicinal uses in Western traditions.
We feel these colors represent what Bastyr University is and where we are headed in the future.
I hope you are as excited about these changes as we are. While to some they may only be visual, to us they are indicative of the exciting new direction in which Bastyr University is heading. We will always have a deep respect and reverence for our institution’s history, but we are also proud to look forward and lead the way in the natural health arts and sciences.
Daniel K. Church, PhD
President, Bastyr University