Employee Benefits Information
Bastyr University is pleased to offer a comprehensive benefits program to its valued employees. Employees working at least 20 hours a week in a permanent position and/or adjunct faculty contracted for 18 or more credits in a rolling four quarter time period are eligible to participate in our benefit programs. Domestic Partners and dependent children are eligible for medical/vision/dental/prescription benefits up to age 26 regardless of student or marital status, including natural or legally adopted children, children under legal guardianship or stepchildren.
Medical/Vision/Dental/Prescription coverage is a packaged plan and cannot be subdivided and and the employees pays part of the pre-taxed premium. Bastyr’s health plan is self-insured, meaning we don’t buy a health plan from an insurance company. Instead we design and administer our own plan so we can offer a more comprehensive coverage for alternative and complementary care than most other plans offer.
Medical uses a Preferred Provider Plan (PPO) of First Choice (www.fchn.com) in Washington and First Health network (www.myfirsthealth.com) in California. When utilizing the PPO plan, you will receive the highest benefit level and the lowest out-of-pocket costs when you obtain covered services and supplies from FCHN or First Health providers. Services from out of network providers are limited to a Usual, Customary and Reasonable (UCR) Allowance and are paid at the lowest level of benefits under this plan.
Vision allows you go to any licensed optometrist. For our plan, the coverage is based on a $200 per year maximum with no deductible. Coverage can be used to purchase lenses, frames, contacts, and one eye exam per calendar year.
Dental allows you to go to any licensed dentist. Dentists are reimbursed on the basis of usual, customary and reasonable (UCR) fees. For our plan, we have determined UCR to mean the amount for a particular dental service that 90 percent of the dentists charge at or less than, adjusted by the location where the service is received. You are covered for exams twice per calendar year and cleanings four times per calendar year.
Prescription is administered by MaxorPlus. You can purchase a 34-day supply at any pharmacy of prescriptions and pay 50% of the cost at the counter. If you have any maintenance prescriptions it is much less expensive and more convenient to purchase the prescription through the mail delivery service, which covers medications at 85% for a 90-day supply.
Section Flexible Spending Accounts
- Healthcare Flexible Spending Account (Health FSA)
- Dependent Care Assistant Program (DCAP)
- Commuter Savings Plan
403(b) Defined Contribution Retirement Plans
Bastyr University offers eligible employees a two-part 403(b) retirement plan in an effort to encourage them to take an active role in planning for post-retirement income needs. Both Plans use Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association (TIAA), which offers counseling services regarding TIAA's various investment options (https://www.tiaa.org). Though part of the same plan, the Retirement Choice and Retirement Choice Plus have separate contract numbers, therefore, separate accounts must be opened for each plan.
- 403(b) Defined Contribution Plan - Retirement Choice Plus (RCP) Annuity
- This plan is funded 100% by employee contributions which are made on a per payroll basis using pre and/or post-tax dollars and can start and stop at anytime. Interest earned is tax deferred until retirement. Participating employees are vested immediately upon enrollment.
- 403(b) Defined Contribution Plan - Retirement Choice (RC) Annuity
- Eligible employees must be Fully Benefits-Eligible (working 20 or more hours per week) and must have a minimum of one year of continuous service working 1,000 hours per year or greater. Adjunct faculty and students are not eligible. Upon meeting these requirements the University will contribute the equivalent of 6% of an enrolled employee’s gross wage per payroll toward the TIAA investment options of their choice. Notification of automatic enrollment into this plan is emailed directly to the employee the beginning of the month they are eligible. Participating employees are vested immediately upon enrollment.
LTD, Term Life & AD&D
Benefit eligible employees qualify for $30,000 term life and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance. Bastyr University provides this benefit at no cost to you. In the event of an accidental death, your beneficiary will receive a double indemnity as both the life insurance and AD&D coverage each pays $30,000.
Benefit eligible employees qualify for Bastyr University long term disability. After a waiting period of 90 days, you can receive up to 60% of your monthly earnings up to $8,000 maximum. If you are not able to perform the duties of your own occupation, your benefit will continue for 36 months. If you are not able to perform any occupation, your benefit will continue until you reach your Social Security Normal Retirement Age (SSNRA).
Voluntary employee paid benefits are offered to Bastyr employees and their family with the convenience of a payroll deduction. Coverage include such plans as Short Term Disability, Critical Illness, Accident Plan, Cancer Plan, and Individual Life Insurance via AFLAC and LifeSecure.
Free Tuition Credits
Bastyr University employees are encouraged to take advantage of the free class/credit policy in order to enrich and develop themselves and their knowledge of the natural health sciences. All aspects of this benefit is based on space availability as determined by the institution and can be considered compensation and subject to taxation.
Bastyr offers paid leaves to employees to give them a chance to rest as well as protect their income during periods of sickness and injury both for the employee and for their dependents and is pro-rated for less than full time.
- Staff Vacation First year = 96 hours; 2nd-4th year = 120 hours; 5th – 9th year = 160 hours; 10th year and beyond = 200 hours per year
- Faculty Vacation First – 9th year = 160 hours; 9th year and beyond = 200 hours per year
- Paid Holidays 7 individual days (56 hours) plus Winter Closure December 24th through January 1st each year based on scheduled work hours
- Personal holiday 8 hours per fiscal year
- Sick leave 96 hours per year
- Wellness Conversion sick leave to wellness conversion hours on 2:1 basis for staff only (not for Faculty or Residents)
- Paid Jury duty full pay for duration when court check is signed over to the Finance Department
- Bereavement Leave 3 to 5 days of paid leave for death of close family member
- All non-benefit eligible employees earn 1 hour of sick leave for every 30 hours worked, up to a maximum of 72 hours
Bastyr is dedicated to ensure that employees are paid on time and will work to create value for our customers. We offer direct deposit and are paid on a semi-monthly payroll, where pay dates are the 9th and 22nd of each month.