Tuition for Bachelor's Degrees
Average first-year costs for a typical credit load in the 2016-2017 academic year. The first year is considered fall, winter and spring quarters.
Tuition & FeesFees include a $25 quarterly student activity fee. See the University catalog for a full schedule of fees.
Books & Supplies
TotalThe budget used to determine financial-aid eligibility allows for an additional $21,600 for a 9-month period of living expenses.
|Bachelor of Science (All Majors)||45||$24,684||$2,250||$26,934|
See also Financial Aid at Bastyr
PLEASE NOTE: For financial aid purposes, cost of attendance includes costs above, plus $21,600 per nine months to cover room & board, transportation, and miscellaneous expenses. Books and Supplies are calculated using a formula not actual.
Curriculum - BSN
This table lists the tentative schedule of courses for each quarter. Also included: the number of credits per course (Credits), lecture hours each week (Lec.) and lab/clinic hours each week (L/C). Course descriptions are available in the Course Catalog.
Junior Year (Year I)
Expected Learning Outcomes
The Department of Nutrition & Exercise Science has established the following expected learning outcomes for all its Bachelor of Science programs:
- Biological/Medical Sciences
- Quantitative and Qualitative Reasoning
- Critical Thinking Skills
- General Health and Wellness
- Nutrition, Whole Foods and Exercise Science
- Promotion of the University's and the Department's mission and vision
Prerequisites for Nutrition Bachelor's Degree Programs
Entering undergraduates must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.75 with a grade of C or better in all basic proficiency and science requirement courses. Exceptional applicants who do not meet these requirements will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Before enrolling, students must have completed 90 quarter credits (60 semester credits), including a minimum number of credits in the basic proficiency, science and general education categories. Surplus credits not used to satisfy basic proficiency or science requirements may be applied to the appropriate general education requirements.
Note: You may apply to the program while completing prerequisite coursework.
Basic Proficiency and Science Requirements
|English literature or composition||9 quarter credits|
|General psychology||3 quarter credits|
|College algebra||4 quarter credits|
|General chemistry (science-major level with lab)||8 quarter credits|
|General cell biology (science-major level with lab)||4 quarter credits|
|Introductory nutrition (should include metabolism)||5 quarter credits|
General Education Requirements
|Natural science and mathematics (for BSN basic track)||5 quarter credits|
|Natural science and mathematics (for all other tracks)||8 quarter credits|
|Arts and humanities||15 quarter credits|
|Social sciences||15 quarter credits|
|Speech communication or public speaking||3 quarter credits|
|Electives||16 quarter credits The number of elective credits may vary depending upon the exact number of quarter credits earned in the other prerequisite categories. Total prerequisite credits must equal at least 90 quarter credits.|
Want to know which classes fulfill these prerequisites? Check these lists:
Program Summary - BSN
In the Bachelor of Science in Nutrition program, you’ll gain a comprehensive education that merges the science of nutrition with a broad view of wellness, community and the environment. Bastyr's experienced faculty guides you through the physiological, biochemical, socioeconomic, political and psychological dimensions of human nutrition.
The University's curriculum emphasizes that good nutrition involves understanding and meeting the greater needs of the planet. This includes using food as affordable medicine and learning how growing and processing food impacts the environment.
- A rigorous science-based curriculum prepares you for a mainstream profession with a natural health perspective.
- Highly qualified faculty coupled with small class sizes and a strong advising program.
- A modern and fully equipped whole food nutrition kitchen where students develop their culinary.
- Availability of Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) and Dietetic Internship (DI) program options.
- Whole food Dining Commons featuring organic, local meals.
- Nutrition students help maintain the University's Medicinal Herb Garden and its 350 species of herbs and seasonal crops. The garden serves as a laboratory for organic, sustainable and renewable agriculture.
- Access to elective classes in other programs, including herbal sciences, naturopathic medicine and health psychology.
Learn about career opportunities and see examples of how graduates use their nutrition degrees.
Quick Facts - BSN
Bachelor of Science with a Major in Nutrition (BSN)
Kenmore, Washington campus
- Completion of the equivalent of two years of college course work
- 2.75 cumulative GPA
- Grade of C or better in all basic proficiency and science requirement courses
- 90 quarter credits (60 semester credits), including a minimum number of credits in the basic proficiency, science and general education categories
Length of Program
2 years, full time
- Food consultant with public and private companies and organizations (for example, sports organizations, fitness centers, patients' organizations and associations)
- Manager of food and meal production in catering companies
- Information and communication employee in the private and public sectors
- Health promotion consultant within public and private companies
- Product developer in the food industry
- Project manager or project associate
- Food journalist for digital and print media, magazines and cookbooks
- Sales consultant (e.g. nutraceutical or supplement industry)
- Food/diet technician (may require certificate)
- Food service manager
- Personal chef/catering manager
See examples of how our graduates use their nutrition degrees.
Request Information and Get Updates
Complete this form to do any of the following:
- Request printed information on one of our degree programs
- Sign up to receive our newsletters
If you have already requested materials, or want to proceed directly to the application, you can create an application account here.