Resources for Moving to Seattle
Moving to a new area for school can be exhilarating – and daunting. Here are some resources our out-of-state students found helpful in moving to the Seattle area.
See also our Moving to San Diego resources.
Note: We cannot vouch for information provided by other websites.
- Consider the convenience of Bastyr's Student Village.
- Search our Housing Board of rooms and rentals available off campus.
- Review our housing tips and local neighborhood descriptions.
- Seattle Apartment Finder provides rental-finding assistance and other relocation services.
- Ask people who know the area — or contact Bastyr Admissions to connect you with someone who does.
- The Bastyr Shuttle runs several times a day between the Kenmore campus and Bastyr Center for Natural Health in Seattle's Wallingford/Fremont neighborhood. It makes stops at riders' request anywhere within its coverage area. See its coverage area [PDF] and schedule [PDF].
- King County Metro operates the regional bus system. Its Trip Planner Tool can help you plan trips to campus and elsewhere. Or use Google Transit.
- Onebusaway.org provides real-time arrival and departure info for Metro buses.
- Sound Transit Link Light Rail connects Sea-Tac Airport and downtown Seattle, with expansion through North Seattle under construction.
- BoltBus offers affordable rides to Portland and Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Zipcar offers affordable short-term car sharing.
Driving, Voting and Licensing
- Find driver license and vehicle registration information from the Washington State Department of Licensing.
- The Department of Licensing also has information on registering to vote and transferring a professional license.
- See our Parenting at Bastyr page for info on our on-campus care center and other resources.
- Care.com and Child Care Aware are popular sites for finding nannies and other day care options.
- Washington State Report Card provides standardized test results and demographic info school by school.
- Greatschools.org provides school performance data, including parent ratings and reviews.
- Well-stocked public libraries in the area provide a trove of books, e-books, DVDs, CDs and other media along with classes and events. Seattle, nearby towns and King County all have library systems.
- And don't forget Bastyr's own library.
- In addition to many chain and local groceries, PCC Natural Markets offers responsibly-sourced produced, meat, seafood and groceries in line with Bastyr's whole food philosophy.
- The area's many farmers markets link eaters with local farmers. Puget Sound Fresh has a farmers market finder tool.
Recreation, Fitness and Yoga
- Vision Quest Sport and Fitness near campus offers full-access for $15 per month.
- Lakeview Yoga in Kenmore offers unlimited yoga for $60 per month.
- Search the area's many, many parks at Kidsplayparks.com.
Medical and Emergency Care
- All students are enrolled in a student health plan that covers unlimited visits to the University’s teaching clinic, Bastyr Center for Natural Health.
- Students can also purchase a health insurance plan that covers major medical expenses and partial reimbursements for doctor visits, lab work and other basic medical expenses.
- Health.usnews.com includes a searchable listing of hospitals and urgent care centers in the Seattle area.
- Amtrak offers affordable shipping rates for non-furniture items you may want to bring with you.
- Several students recommend Meetup.com for meeting people with shared interests.