Resources for Moving to San Diego
Moving to a new area for school can be exhilarating – and daunting. Here are some resources our out-of-state students found helpful in moving to the San Diego area.
See also our Moving to Seattle resources.
Note: We cannot vouch for information provided by other websites.
- Search our Housing Board of rooms and rentals available near campus.
- Many students find housing on Craigslist San Diego.
- Forrent.com has comprehensive, up-to-date information for housing in the University Town Centre neighborhood, 5-10 minutes from campus by car.
- Ask people who know the area — or contact Bastyr Admissions to connect you with someone who does.
- The Coaster commuter train stops within walking distance of campus and connects to additional light-rail lines.
- BREEZE buses serve north San Diego County, including Sorrento Valley, where campus is located.
- San Diego Metropolitan Transit System buses serve central and southern San Diego.
- Students can use the After Hours forum on MyBU to arrange carpools.
- 511sd.com has traffic, transit and commute info.
Driving, Voting and Licensing
- The New to California page at the Department of Motor Vehicles includes information on driver licenses, vehicle registration, ID cards and other topics.
- Voter registration info appears at the Secretary of State website.
- The Department of Consumer Affairs has information on transferring a professional license.
- Care.com is a popular site for finding nannies and other day care options.
- Students can use the After Hours forum on MyBU to search for or collaborate on day care.
- Academic Performance Index (API) has school by school performance reports.
- Greatschools.org provides school performance data, including parent ratings and reviews.
- Bastyr University California has its own campus library and study room.
- Students have access to Kenmore campus library resources, including staff assistance, online databases and digital collections.
- Students also have lending privileges at the UCSD Biomedical Library.
- The San Diego Public Library has 35 branch locations, including the North University branch a few miles from campus.
Groceries and Food
- The area's many farmers markets link eaters with local farmers.
- Nearby groceries with organic foods include Ocean Beach People's Organic Food Market, Jimbo’s Natural Foods, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Sprout's Farmer's Market, Keil’s Food Stores and the UCSD Food Co-op.
- Several food trucks move around the area, often stopping near campus. Find them here.
Recreation, Fitness and Yoga
- Next to campus is the Los Penasquitos Canyon Reserve, with hiking, biking and equestrian trails and 4,000 acres of wilderness. Just a few miles away on the Pacific Ocean lies Torrey Pines State Beach, a popular surfing and body-boarding spot.
- The area includes many yoga studios, including Yoga 80, the donation-based One Love Yoga and Shafa Yoga, owned by a Bastyr student.
- Fitness clubs include CrossFit gyms, other gyms, the Vavi Sport and Social Club and the San Diego Fitness Club near campus, which offers free first-time training sessions.
- San Diego also has abundant beaches, dog beaches and dog parks.
Medical and Emergency Care
- All students are enrolled in a student health plan that covers visits to Bastyr University Clinic.
- For additional insurance coverage, Alison Scott, associate director of admissions and student services, can provide a list of potential options.
- Health.usnews.com includes a searchable listing of hospitals and urgent care centers in the San Diego area.
- The California Naturopathic Doctors Association can help you find an ND in San Diego.
- The Sorrento Valley Post Office is just a few blocks from campus.
- Amtrak offers affordable shipping rates for non-furniture items you may want to bring with you.
- Several students recommend Meetup.com for meeting people with shared interests.