According to scientists in China, consuming just one mushroom a day can decrease a woman's risk of breast cancer by 64 percent. Take advantage of the cancer-fighting power of mushrooms with this vegetarian chili that's so hearty, you'll never miss the meat!
- Warm oil in a 4-quart soup pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté 5 minutes, then add mushrooms and sauté until they start to get soft and juicy, 5-10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except vinegar and garnish.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 1 hour. Add water if needed to thin chili.
- Just before serving, stir in vinegar. Serve with desired garnishes.
*Note: Porcini powder adds an incomparable richness to this chili. It is available from gourmet retailers, or make your own by grinding dried porcini mushrooms in a coffee grinder.