About the Search Committee
As the University begins an official search for its next president, a Presidential Search Committee has been formed, composed of trustees, students, faculty, staff, alumni and community leaders. The committee has selected Spencer Stuart, a national executive search firm, to partner in this process.
The search committee and Spencer Stuart consultants have spent recent months talking with faculty, staff, students, trustees, alumni, supporters and others. As result of this work, a complete position and candidate specification is now available. Please feel free to contact Spencer Stuart if you would like to nominate a candidate or self-nominate.
Thank you to those who are helping with this important search process by completing surveys, participating in open forums and submitting nominations.
2014-15 Bastyr University Presidential Search Committee
- Matt Acosta, Patient Services Representative (Bastyr Center for Natural Health)
- Mary Beall, Accounts Payable Lead in the Finance Department (Kenmore campus)
- Carrie Louise Daenell, ND, Trustee, Founder of Living Well Center, Board Member of the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians
- Jessica Dominguez-Rieg, PhD, Assistant Professor of Basic Sciences (San Diego campus)
- Natiya Guin, Second-Year ND Student (San Diego campus)
- June Kloubec, PhD, Chair of the Faculty Senate, Professor of Nutrition and Exercise Science (Kenmore campus)
- David A. Lang, Chair of the Search Committee, Vice Chair of the Board of Trustees
- Becky Love, DVM, Vice Chair of the Faculty Senate, Professor of Basic Sciences (Kenmore campus)
- Mark Martzen, PhD, Trustee, Associate Professor, Chair of the Department of Basic Sciences, Director, Center for Student Research (Kenmore campus)
- Safiya McCarter, ND, Alumna, Current Acupuncture Student (Kenmore campus)
- Steven Olswang, JD, PhD, Trustee, Provost of City University Seattle
- Ryan Robbins, ND, Part-Time Faculty of the School of Naturopathic Medicine (Kenmore campus)
- Barbara Schuchart Wright, Community Supporter
Daniel K. Church, PhD, Retiring in June 2015
After serving a decade as president of Bastyr University, Daniel K. Church, PhD, has announced his retirement effective June 30, 2015.
“After careful consideration, I believe now is the right time for me to make this move,” said Dr. Church. “I feel strongly that the University is in good hands and will continue to flourish. I am committed to ensuring Bastyr University remains a world leader in the natural health arts and sciences, and will always remain a part of the Bastyr family as I take the first steps to spending more time with my own.”
Since 2005, the University has seen unprecedented growth and success under Dr. Church’s leadership. Among the highlights:
- Increased student enrollment and core faculty
- Increased consolidated revenues and cash reserves
- Creation of a new campus and teaching clinic in San Diego
- Relocation and expansion of Bastyr Center for Natural Health
- Construction of 11 LEED platinum-certified student housing buildings
- Addition of eight new degree programs
“The Board of Trustees is indebted to Dr. Church for his numerous contributions to Bastyr and feel fortunate to have had such a dynamic leader steering the University for such a sustained period of excellence,” said Samuel L. Anderson, JD, chair of the Bastyr University Board of Trustees. “In addition to opening a new campus in San Diego, Dr. Church has been instrumental in helping put Bastyr University on the national stage by making it the preeminent center for natural health education in the country, and perhaps the world. The Board and his successor will be focused and work hard to meet the standard set by Dr. Church and keep our positive momentum.”