Bastyr University's annual “Haunted Trails” event is returning for another year of spooky fun! Hosted in the forest behind Bastyr University's Kenmore campus for two consecutive Fridays and Saturdays (Oct. 18-19 and 25-26), the event, now in its 15th year, is one of the Eastside’s longest-running and biggest fright fests. It includes enjoyable activities for teenagers and adults, as well as trick-or-treating and a carnival for younger children – and is all for a good cause, as proceeds benefit student study-abroad programs.
Events for ages 8 and older (7-11 p.m.):
- Haunted Trails: Complete with ghosts, ghouls and goblins, the Haunted Trails tour through the forest offers frights and delights around every corner. Enter if you dare!
- Hades Labyrinth: With ghouls and monsters haunting all who enter, participants must find their way through a 2,400-square-foot maze of misty tunnels or be lost forever in the underworld.
- Cemetery Hill: Is there anything creepier than a foggy cemetery at night? Yes — a foggy cemetery at night, filled with the living dead!
- Circus of Horrors: Evil clowns make for a nightmarish experience under the big top.
- Mummy’s Tomb: It’s cool to see mummies of the past…until they arise.
Cost: $20 per person for all five events. Major credit cards accepted. Tickets are available for purchase at the event or at HauntedTrailsBU.org. Ticket sales and check-in begin at 6:30 pm. The event is rain or shine and all ticket sales are final.
Please note: A limited number of tickets are sold each night. Tickets are sold online and at the event, and if tickets are sold out online they may still be purchased at the event. Online buyers are encouraged to check in at the event by 8 p.m. to reserve their space in the event line. The second weekend of Haunted Trails (Oct. 25-26) promises to get very busy and tickets can sell out as early as 8:45 p.m. Visitors are advised to come the first weekend, Oct. 18-19, when lines are shorter.
Events for children ages 7 and younger (5-9 p.m.):
- The Great Pumpkin’s Trick-or-Treating Adventure: Bring the kids for trick-or-treating at Bastyr University’s Garden. Take pictures of the little ones as they receive candy from some of their favorite characters. Cost is $5 per child. Cash only. (Runs 5-6:45 p.m.)
- Children’s Carnival: Entertain the younger children with various games and indoor events just for them. Cost is dependent on activities. Cash only. (Runs 5:30-9 p.m.)
Food, gags and more:
- Spook and Scare Shop: Buy glow sticks, glow wands, glow masks, glow Frisbees, monster balloons and more at this spook-and-scare store.
- Food and drinks: Food and drinks are available for purchase at the event and in Bastyr University’s Award-Winning Dining Commons.
- Parking: Free event parking is available on the Bastyr University campus, 14500 Juanita Drive N.E., Kenmore, WA 98028.
For more information: Contact the Bastyr University Haunted Trails Hotline at (425) 602-3303, email at hauntedtrails[at]bastyr[dot]edu or visit HauntedTrailsBU.org. You can also follow us on Twitter (@hauntedtrailsbu) and like us on Facebook.
Click here for video of the event from years past. (Media may use this video for broadcast, but please courtesy Bastyr University.)
About Bastyr University
Bastyr University, located near Seattle, Washington, is internationally recognized as a pioneer in natural medicine. As the largest accredited university for natural health arts and sciences in the U.S., Bastyr offers more than 17 degree and certificate programs in fields such as naturopathic medicine, acupuncture & Oriental medicine, and whole-food nutrition. Founded in 1978, the University now includes a leading-edge research facility (the Bastyr University Research Institute) and outstanding clinical training at Bastyr Center for Natural Health. The University’s second campus, Bastyr University California, opened in San Diego, California, in fall 2012, becoming the state’s first and only accredited school of naturopathic medicine.