The Bastyr University community had a lot of thanks to give on November 10, 2011, when the dining commons presented an early Thanksgiving meal featuring vegetarian, vegan and healthy traditional menus.
Although this was the first year the smell of turkey wafted through the Bastyr Dining Commons after Food Services Director Jim Watkins introduced animal protein to the menu in April, most of the side dishes and desserts were both vegetarian- and vegan-friendly.
The event was such a hit, KOMO/4 asked Watkins to explain the various menus to its viewers during the morning news on November 17, which you can watch on the Bastyr YouTube channel.
But more importantly, we’ve also got the recipes:
- Maple Roast Turkey with Cider Gravy
- Green Kale and Roasted Shallot Stuffing
- Mushroom Hazelnut Pate
- Roasted Acorn Squash with Wild Rice Pilaf and Roasted Maple Yam Puree
- Dining Commons' Roasted Root Vegetables
- Bitter Green Salad with Citrus Fruit and Pomegranate Vinaigrette
- Cranberry Upside Down Muffins
- Vegan Almond Cookies
- Miniature Sweet Potato Tartlets
- Persimmon Pudding
- Miniature Apple Tartlets