Elizabeth Ann Smock
Tai Sophia Institute
7750 Montpelier Road
Laurel, MD 20723
(410) 888-9048 x 6662
(410) 888-9239 fax
Position Available: January, 2013
From a small healing arts clinic founded in 1975, Tai Sophia Institute has grown to become a preeminent academic institution for wellness-based education, clinical care, research, and public policy discourse. Our integration of Eastern and Western thinking has empowered and transformed individuals, organizations, and communities.
Tai Sophia Institute is seeking part-time Teaching Clinic Supervisors for its Master of Science degree program in Nutrition and Integrative Health. These important members of the instructional community, versed in integrative and evidence-based nutrition practice, support the learning experience of Nutrition and Integrative Health student interns and the delivery of safe and effective patient care in Institute’s Student Teaching Clinic. Each Teaching Clinic Supervisor assists Lead Teaching Clinic Supervisors in creating a supportive learning environment for Nutrition and Integrative Health student interns and guides and supervises student interns during clinical practice. The Teaching Clinic Supervisor is the primary faculty contact throughout the student’s clinical training. Each position is part-time and consists of weekly clinic shifts plus additional participation at meetings and events as specified below, and the total salary is based on all clinic shifts and required meetings.
Responsibilities/Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Assisting Lead Teaching Clinic Supervisors in overseeing and coordinating student interns participating in the clinic activities
• Ensuring and contributing such that each student in her/his Teaching Clinic Team receives appropriate supervision, assessment, progress monitoring, and feedback during their clinical training
• Ensuring that patients receive appropriate treatment in the Student Teaching Clinic while allowing student practitioners to have a key voice in treatment design
• Providing direct oversight and guidance for all client consultations
• Ensuring proper reporting and administration of nutrition care process
• Discerning and remembering the distinction between one’s own practice and a beginner’s practice when supervising student practitioners
• Offering support, coaching, and motivation to facilitate students’ successful completion of the clinical experience
• Ensuring that the policies and procedures of the Student Teaching Clinic are followed at all times
• Making certain the treatment records of student practitioners meet the current standards established for the Student Teaching Clinic
• Attending regular meetings, trainings, and orientations for Teaching Clinic Supervisors (approximately 20 hours per year)
• Modeling professional demeanor, clinical skill, and ethical behavior for the Teaching Clinic Supervisors and student practitioners
• Serving as faculty advisor throughout the student’s educational experience
• Participating in one outreach event per trimester
• Following Tai Sophia Institute’s policies and procedures regarding vaccinations, health requirements, and occupational safety and health training
• Performing other duties as assigned
• Master’s Degree in Nutrition, Dietetics or related field
• Current license to practice nutrition in the state of Maryland
• Minimum of 2.5 years of experience in a part-time (10+ patients/wk.) practice focused on nutrition and integrative health related equivalent (i.e., functional nutrition, complementary nutrition, holistic nutrition, etc.)
• Professional demeanor
• Excellent clinical abilities with a willingness to learn new skills
• Proficient practice management skills
• Highly developed interpersonal, and communication skills
• Commitment to supervising one 5-hour shift weekly, with commitment to supervising two 5-hour shifts weekly preferred
• Commitment and ability to teach, on average, a minimum of 2 credits per year in Tai Sophia Institute’s MS in Nutrition and Integrative Health program (outside of the Student Teaching Clinic) is preferred
Interested individuals should forward a letter of interest and a CV/resume to our Office of Human Enrichment at jobs[at]tai[dot]edu, referencing “Teaching Clinic Supervisor” in the Subject Line of the email.
This position is onsite at the Laurel, Maryland campus of Tai Sophia. The hours vary and the salary is negotiable.
Applicants are considered on the basis of individual without regard to race, color, national or ethnic origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, religion, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. The Institute is committed to being, communicating, and educating in ways that recognize and honor the full range of human diversity. EOE.