Elizabeth Ann Smock
Tai Sophia Institute
7750 Montpelier Road
Laurel, MD 20723
(410) 888-9048 x 6662
(410) 888-9239 fax
Position Available: January 2013
From a small healing arts clinic founded in 1975, Tai Sophia Institute (www.tai.edu) has grown to become a preeminent academic institution for wellness-based education, clinical care, research, and public policy discourse. Our integration of Eastern and Western thinking has empowered and transformed individuals, organizations, and communities.
Tai Sophia Institute is seeking part-time adjunct faculty members for its new Master of Science in Health Education and Integrative Health degree program. Courses to be filled address the competencies and sub-competencies that constitute the seven areas of responsibility for health education specialists as described by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing (NCHEC).
The program is housed within the Integrative Health Sciences (ISci) department. The ISci department designs and delivers courses in alignment with Tai Sophia’s philosophy of 'whole' person care and when applicable emphasizes the interrelationship between psychological, social, spiritual and biological processes.
Opportunities exist for advancement and promotion
Responsibilities/duties include, but are not limited to:
• Teaching 3-9-credits a year in Health Education subjects (e.g. Communication Strategies in Health Education; Assessing Needs & Planning Health Educational Programs; Governmental Policy & Health Education Advocacy) and related coursework
• Participating in related research if requested
• Performing other duties as assigned
• Master’s degree or higher in health education or a relevant field (e.g. MPH, MSPH or MPP); a PhD or professional doctorate in an appropriate field (e.g. DrPH) is preferred
• A minimum of 2 years of experience teaching in a postsecondary academic institution
• Demonstrated high level of competence in more than one subject area related to health education (e.g. program planning; program evaluation; health education management; health communications; health policy etc.)
• Desire to engage in activities that are needed for an expanding curriculum (e.g. course design)
• Superior interpersonal and communication skills (both written and oral)
• Knowledge of integrative health perspectives is preferred, but not required
Interested individuals should forward a) a letter of interest, b) CV/resume, c) a minimum of 3 references, and d) any student evaluations from courses taught in the last 5 years to our Office of Human Enrichment at jobs[at]tai[dot]edu, referencing “Health Education Adjunct Faculty Position” in the subject line of the email.
This job is located on the campus of Tai Sophia in Laurel, Maryland. The hours required may vary and the salary is negotiable.
Applicants are considered on the basis of individual merit without regard to race, color, national or ethnic origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, religion, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. The Institute is committed to being, communicating, and educating in ways that recognize and honor the full range of human diversity. EOE.