The Association of Accredited Naturopathic Medical Colleges (AANMC: http://www.aanmc.org) is a collaborative coalition among the seven naturopathic medical colleges in the US and Canada, founded in 2002. It is now seeking its first full-time executive director, as the organization grows from coordinating projects among member schools to creating a centralized set of services and expanded programming. It is a mature and stable organization, with established programs, administrative systems, a strategic plan, a strong balance sheet, and a high-functioning board.
This position will report to an 8-member Board of Directors, which operates within a collaborative governance model. The Board holds the ED accountable for successfully leading the day-to-day activities such that measurable progress is made toward over arching strategic goals and objectives. The ED is responsible for day-to-day operations, budgetary management, and programmatic design to advance the strategic agenda, inter-institutional and inter-agency committees, project priorities, and all personnel (internal and contracted). Various association project teams and outside consultants will report to the Executive Director.
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS AND CORE COMPETENCIES:
A Master’s degree is required, with an emphasis in business, higher education leadership, and/or marketing communications. A successful track record in organizational leadership, association management, marketing and recruitment, or inter-organizational coalition building is more critical, particularly in the area of small colleges. A strong knowledge of health professions, health professions education, and professional formation is a plus. An informed positive regard for naturopathic medicine is essential. Demonstrated aptitude in strategic planning, budgeting, and fundraising is expected.
The executive director’s main responsibility is to create and lead a strong and stable team to successfully execute on the AANMC’s board-approved strategic goals and annual work plan within the fiscal limitations of the organization. An inclusionary approach that values and promotes doctor, student, and school staff participation in AANMC activities and programs is a critical component to successful execution of the work plan of the Association. Membership satisfaction and support is critical and must be accounted for in the style and intent of the ED. The ED is expected to lead an established annual planning process in partnership with the Board of Directors, and, in response to the strategic direction of the Board, design and execute specific initiatives to attain agreed upon objectives. The ED is accountable for all budgetary and financial systems and obligations. The ED creates and directs integrated strategies in the areas of professional affairs, marketing research and communications, inter-school coordination and collaboration regarding curriculum and standards, research, and graduate success. It is the ED’s responsibility to retain, orchestrate, and supervise appropriate staff, consultants, agencies, and other resources to carry out these strategies. The ED will provide regular progress reports to the Board. The ED will represent the AANMC in a manner that is consistent with the goals and direction of the Association as articulated by the Board. The ED position will involve occasional for meetings, the annual convention, and other events.
KEY SUCCESS CRITERIA:
• Develop and nurture strategic and long-term relationships with members, school administrators and faculty, and external stakeholders, in a team environment and remotely
• Identify and facilitate board development needs
• Design, develop, and execute plans that lead to sustainable impacts, high member satisfaction, and strong brand value and appreciation
• Develop productive and collaborative working relationships with all parts of the organization and among its affiliates within the profession
• Advocate for the naturopathic profession on the basis of the education and training of naturopathic medical students
• Facilitate collaboration between diverse interests toward a common vision and mission
• Envision and direct creation of a sustainable pipeline for the attraction and recruitment of potential students
• Motivate and lead a team to successful goal achievement, and demonstrate effective fiscal management
• Represent the association in public, policy, and legislative venues.
• Convert higher education / professional preparation best practices into prioritized development projects and processes
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS REQUIRED:
• Experience within the naturopathic medicine, natural medicine, complementary medicine, or the integrative medicine field is highly preferred.
• Proven ability for strategic leadership and organizational management is mandatory
• Proven ability in inter-personal consensus and inter-organizational coalition building is a must
• Association management or cause-related organizational leadership experience and an entrepreneurial spirit are highly desired
• A minimum of 10 years industry experience is expected
• Experience with branding and marketing communications is a strong plus.
• Fund raising and strategic relationship experience is a strong plus.
• A mindset, personality, and ability to assume personal responsibility to accomplish required tasks
• A willingness to travel and work within the time demands of a volunteer-oriented organization
• Self motivation and independent work habits are critical
• Must be fluent in English
• Must be a competent user of Microsoft Office Suite and other common business software / services.
The AANMC does not currently have a physical office, and initially it could continue to be a virtual office. It is intended that the AANMC will eventually be located in Washington DC.
A compensation package will be designed to attract the truly outstanding candidate to this critically important position. The package will be offered based upon background and experience.
The opportunity will first be posted through existing communications channels of the naturopathic medical community. If no viable candidates apply by September 26, 2012, then the opportunity will be more broadly advertised.
The ED Search Team will screen all applications, and schedule first-round phone interviews with selected candidates. Qualifying applicants will advance to formal interviews. The Search Team will select no more than three candidates with whom to schedule final interviews, which will include all board members.
Final interviews will occur in early / mid October, and an offer made by November 1. The start date would be as soon as convenient.
Dr. Khalsa is the President of the AANMC Board of Directors, and heads the search effort. Dr. Beth Pimentel and Dr. Jane Guiltinan are board members serving on the search team. David Matteson, Interim Executive Director, supports the team.
Inquiries regarding this position will be considered confidential within the Search Team, even from other board members, until such time as any final interviews are scheduled. If a final interview is not scheduled, that applicant’s name will remain private.
Inquiries and application letters should be sent to:
Application should include:
• Cover letter elaborating your interests and alignment for this position
• Preferred contact information