Wisdom of the Tarot (TAROT - 12WISD01)
Kenmore, WA 98028-4966
|Bastyr/NIAOM alumni||$ 185.00|
|General public||$ 195.00|
|BU Staff||$ 165.00|
|Full time student||$ 95.00|
The Tarot is a powerful tool for self-discovery and transformation. With its 78 symbolic cards, the Tarot provides profound access to our inner wisdom and creates a catalyst for intuition, new perspectives, and a closer glimpse at the truth.
Effective teaching techniques provide easy memorization and immediate familiarity with each card. Learn to choose a deck for yourself, handle the cards, and do a basic Celtic Cross layout. Review the meanings of each card, both upright and reversed. Plan to have the skills and knowledge to give readings to each other by the end of class!
After a short discussion of the history and lore of the Tarot cards, you will learn how to choose a deck for yourself, handle the cards, and lay out the cards in a basic Celtic Cross pattern. This layout provides greater depth to the meaning of the cards. Through the positions that the cards fall into, we can look at:
- the energy surrounding the question
- the origin of the issue in the past
- what effect that initial event led to
- what is the next step on the journey of this issue
- how issue turns out in the future
- the driving forces of fear (or avoidance) and our expectations - and how these two forces influence our decisions and actions
- the opinions of others, whether gossip or true - from spirit guides, family, friends, or foes
- the nature and role of our own expectations of the issue
- the long-term result of this path, along with possible steps we can take if we prefer to change that future
Each of the 22 cards of the Major Arcana will be examined for how their archetypes and wisdom can be used to access information about purpose, character, and life lessons. Additionally, a Tarot reading will be demonstrated and there will be time for you to practice in class.
Building on the knowledge and experience of Saturday’s class, we will continue with the examination of each of the 56 cards of the Minor Arcana. Like a regular playing card deck, the Minor Arcana has four suits and 10 numbered cards. The Tarot, however, contains four members of the royal family, rather than three. Through the Minor Arcana we learn about the activities and people who influence our daily lives, as well as the challenges, support, and conditions of our life experiences. After additional demonstrations of Tarot card readings, and a discussion on the techniques and responsibilities of performing readings for others, you will practice with a partner.
Upon completion of this seminar you will be able to:
- Discuss the history and uses of the Tarot cards
- Identify the difference between the Major and Minor Arcana of the Tarot
- Demonstrate how to handle and shuffle Tarot cards
- Demonstrate the traditional Celtic Cross Tarot layout
- Describe the basic meanings of each of 78 cards of the Tarot deck, in both the upright and reversed positions
- Perform a basic Tarot reading for a partner
- Use the cards to ask simple questions
Mary Lee LaBay, PhD
Mary Lee LaBay holds a Doctorate in Behavioral Psychology, is the founder of Awareness Engineering, and is a Senior Advisor on the Board of Directors of the Washington Hypnosis Association. As a Certified Instructor of Hypnotherapy since 1999, she offers professional training in hypnosis, past life regression, and transpersonal discovery through Bastyr University Continuing Education. LaBay has authored five books on hypnotherapy, self-hypnosis, and past life regression; and was named among the Top 100 Thought Leaders of 2007 by Personal Excellence magazine. She has instructed Tarot for twenty years and many of her students have gone on to become professional readers. She has maintained a private practice in Bellevue, WA, for over 14 years. To read more about the presenter, visit her website at www.maryleelabay.com.
The class fee includes a detailed workbook ($35 value) containing instructions and card definitions.
If you cancel and are eligible for a refund, you will be charged a $35 processing fee plus $35 for the workbook (total of $70).
You will receive the workbook in advance by email so you can review the material in advance.
Bring a pen and an optional set of Tarot cards in the Robin Wood or Rider-Waite style.
Receive a discount, register by Jan. 4th