Department of Midwifery
Programs of Study
The Bastyr University Department of Midwifery invites you to join the countless midwives throughout history who have helped women transition to motherhood.
With a mission to educate and inspire leaders in the profession of midwifery, the department offers a unique direct-entry program that will train you in all aspects of midwifery care, preparing you to greatly improve the quality and breadth of maternity care offered to women and new families.
The first regionally accredited, articulated, direct-entry Master of Science in Midwifery degree in the country, Bastyr's program is distinct for its exceptional clinical training. You will train with preceptors in a variety of clinics, homebirth settings, birth centers and hospitals in North America and overseas.
The program, which is intended for entry-level midwifery students, qualifies you to become a state (or provincially) licensed and nationally certified midwife.
The Department of Midwifery educates midwives to conform to national and international standards of midwifery competence and to do the following:
- Practice autonomously in a variety of settings, which may include homes, birth centers, clinics and hospitals
- Promote birth as a normal process requiring a minimum of intervention
- Function within the health care system, consulting and referring appropriately
- Qualify for licensure or registration in a variety of jurisdictions, including certification by the North American Registry of Midwives (NARM)
- Promote midwifery through state, provincial and national professional organizations, the political process, research activities and policy development
- Work in partnership with the women you serve in a way that promotes personal responsibility, validates knowledge and experience and encourages lifelong learning
- Promote the Midwives Model of Care™