Midwifery Degree Programs
Bastyr University's Department of Midwifery offers the first regionally accredited, articulated, direct-entry Master of Science in Midwifery degree in the country – a program distinct for its exceptional clinical training. Midwifery students train with preceptors in a variety of clinics, homebirth settings, birth centers and hospitals in North America and overseas. The Department of Midwifery staff works closely with students to place them in optimal clinical training sites.
The Master of Science in Midwifery is available to students who already hold a bachelor's degree. The combined bachelor's/master's option is available to students who have completed at least two years at the undergraduate level (60 semester or 90 quarter credits). Prior to entering the program, applicants must complete the basic science and proficiency prerequisites as well as general education requirements.
Advantages of the Midwifery Degree Programs
- Graduates are eligible for licensure as midwives in Washington state and other states, as well as for registration in Canadian provinces. They can also sit for the North American Registry of Midwives (NARM) Certified Professional Midwife (CPM) exam.
- A unique low-residency model (combining both online learning and onsite classroom intensives lasting from one to five days each) allows students to remain in their communities and commute to on-site classes at the scenic Bastyr campus three times each quarter.
- Opportunity for midwifery students to travel abroad to established clinical training sites for advanced practicum experience.
- Access to the the Simkin Center for Allied Birth Vocations.
- Highly qualified faculty from both (the former) Seattle Midwifery School and Bastyr University, coupled with a strong academic advising program.
- First-hand training prepares students to directly manage the care of normal healthy women throughout their entire pregnancy, including prenatal visits, birth, postpartum and newborn care.
- Placement in clinical preceptorships for training with qualified maternity care providers.
- Midwifery Faculty
- Simkin Center for Allied Birth Vocations
- Application Requirements
- Admission Timelines
- Application Deadlines