Program Summary - MS in Ayurvedic Sciences
Ayurvedic medicine is a comprehensive, time-tested system of medical therapies, combining nutritional counseling, herbal medicine, massage therapy and bodywork, internal cleansing and immune-system support. Based on the 5,000-year-old medical traditions of India, ayurveda (“the science of life”) is quickly gaining popularity in the United States and the need for skillful practitioners trained at accredited institutions is on the rise.
Bastyr University offers the first accredited Master of Science in Ayurvedic Sciences program in the United States.
Courses in areas such as medical Sanskrit, psychology, yoga, pathology, herbal therapies and nutrition steep students in the rich history, philosophies and therapeutics of ayurveda as they practice observation shifts at various preceptor sites. In their second year, students continue more advanced coursework as they begin clinical rotations at Bastyr Center for Natural Health under the supervision of faculty clinicians. Students also complete externships in modern ayurvedic clinics and hospitals in India.
- First regionally accredited program of its kind in the U.S.
- Extensive clinical training with preceptors and at Bastyr Center for Natural Health
- India externship provides hands-on application of ayurvedic knowledge and practice
- Open to both established medical professionals and students with bachelor's degrees (provided they also gain licensure in massage therapy before or during their ayurveda studies)
- The revised hybrid format can support some work schedules and minimizes commute time, as students are only required to come to campus Saturdays and Sundays
Request Information and Get Updates
Complete this form to do any of the following:
- Request printed information on one of our degree programs
- Sign up to receive our newsletters
If you have already requested materials, or want to proceed directly to the application, you can create an application account here.