Curriculum - Ayurvedic
Bastyr’s ayurvedic curriculum offers students comprehensive didactic and clinical training in a convenient hybrid online/weekend format. The coursework is designed to steep students in the rich history, philosophies and therapeutics of ayurveda as well as provide them with a modern understanding of their clinical applications.
Areas of Study
- Ayurvedic Body Systems
- Business Management
- Jurisprudence and Ethics
- Medical Sanskrit
- Rejuvenative Therapies
- Yoga Therapy, Theory and Practice
Expected Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the ayurvedic sciences master’s program will have the skills to:
- Assess an individual’s Prakruti (balanced state) and Vikruti (imbalanced state).
- Advise preventive measures using dietary and lifestyle recommendations based on ayurvedic principles of the Prakruti/Vikruti paradigm.
- Do a complete clinical assessment using ayurvedic methods including pulse diagnosis to determine patient’s current imbalances.
- Manage and treat disease using ayurvedic principles including diet, lifestyle, therapeutic herbs and formulations, ayurvedic cleansing and detoxification (Panchakarma), yoga therapy, and other measures to achieve balance at physical, psychological and spiritual levels.
- Understand ayurvedic principles of disease etiology and pathogenesis to effectively treat as well as manage disease.
- Understand and integrate Western anatomy, physiology and pathology to be effectively functioning as an integrated medical specialist and participate in patient management as a team member.
For the 2015-2016 course catalog, click here.
Program Summary - MS in Ayurvedic Sciences
Ayurvedic medicine is a comprehensive, time-tested system of medical therapies, combining nutritional counseling, herbal medicine, massage therapy and bodywork, internal cleansing and immune-system support. Based on the 5,000-year-old medical traditions of India, ayurveda (“the science of life”) is quickly gaining popularity in the United States and the need for skillful practitioners trained at accredited institutions is on the rise.
Bastyr University offers the first accredited Master of Science in Ayurvedic Sciences program in the United States.
Courses in areas such as medical Sanskrit, psychology, yoga, pathology, herbal therapies and nutrition steep students in the rich history, philosophies and therapeutics of ayurveda as they practice observation shifts at various preceptor sites. In their second year, students continue more advanced coursework as they begin clinical rotations at Bastyr Center for Natural Health under the supervision of faculty clinicians. Students also complete externships in modern ayurvedic clinics and hospitals in India.
- First regionally accredited program of its kind in the U.S.
- Extensive clinical training with preceptors and at Bastyr Center for Natural Health
- India externship provides hands-on application of ayurvedic knowledge and practice
- Dual-degree option for naturopathic medicine and acupuncture students
- The revised hybrid format can support some work schedules and minimizes commute time, as students are only required to come to campus Saturdays and Sundays
Prerequisites - MS in Ayurvedic Sciences
Bastyr’s ayurveda program is the first accredited degree of its kind in the United States. The program is open to anyone with a bachelor’s degree, and is particularly well-suited for yoga practitioners, nutritional counselors, licensed massage therapists, health coaches and other health care practitioners who want to offer another means for their patients and clients to achieve physical, mental, emotional, spiritual and social health.
|General Biology (survey level, no lab)||1 course|
|General Chemistry (survey level, no lab)||1 course|
|Introduction to Psychology (or higher)||1 course|
|Anatomy & Physiology (no lab)||2 courses|
Labs are not required for any of the above classes. Required courses not taken within seven years of matriculation into the program are subject to review by the admissions committee.
Can be completed concurrently during the first year of the program.
Quick Facts - MS in Ayurvedic Sciences
Master of Science in Ayurvedic Sciences
Kenmore, Washington campus
- Bachelor’s degree
- Prerequisite coursework
Length of Program
2 years, hybrid format (one weekend a month onsite, along with online coursework)
The program prepares graduates to enhance their professional health care practices with ayurvedic healing modalities for physical, mental, emotional, spiritual and social health. Graduates can apply the ayurvedic healing framework when considering disease and its management as well as preventive tools.
Request Information and Get Updates
Complete this form to do any of the following:
- Request printed information on one of our degree programs
- Sign up to receive our newsletters
If you have already requested materials, or want to proceed directly to the application, you can create an application account here.